Friday, July 02, 2010

buckets of baked french fries


b
If there was one thing I had to eat every day for the rest of my life it would be potatoes- I LOVE POTATOES- in my opinion, they in every way. (Yes...I eat carbs and lots of them!!) And the yummiest thing to make with potatoes would be french fries! I am always experimenting with different versions of french fries and so far this recipe from Food and Wine is my favorite way to make baked french fries-simple, healthy and full of flavor. I have tweaked the recipe a little and created my own unique dipping sauce and served them up in cute little tin buckets- a perfect side dish for a 4th of July cookout


IMG_0307
Start by cutting potatoes into strips- the key to a well cooked, crispy french fry is evenly cut strips- in my opinion :)


IMG_0308
Once the strips are cut, transfer to a bowl


IMG_0310
Drizzle olive oil and toss- make sure all fries are covered with olive oil


IMG_0311
Lay the fries in one layer on a baking sheet.


IMG_0312
Bake in the oven at around 400-425 degrees or until crispy and brown (turn the fries in order to get both sides crispy)


IMG_0313
While the fries are baking, prepare fresh herbs and garlic for flavor.
My herbs are growing like crazy right now so I picked sage, parsley, oregano and rosemary.


IMG_0316
Mince the herbs.


IMG_0317
Toss the herbs into a bowl and add minced or chopped garlic.


IMG_0318
Mix together.


IMG_0319
When the french fries are a nice crispy golden brown on both sides, add the herb and garlic mixture over the top. Cook for another 5 minutes or until the garlic is browned.


d
I don't like ketchup (weird eh?) so I decided to make some simple and unique dipping sauces with some of my favorite flavors.

Curry Dipping Sauce-
Generous sprinkle of curry powder
Mayo
1 pinch of sugar or a drizzle of honey

Spicy Mustard Dipping Sauce
spicy brown mustard
Mayo
salt and pepper

Cilantro Dipping Sauce
Cilantro pesto (left over from this recipe)
or finely minced cilantro
mayo


IMG_0349
I filled little paper condiment cups (leftover from this project) with the different sauces.


IMG_0325
Remove the french fries from the oven and toss with salt and pepper.


IMG_0327
Now for the fun part! I found these cute little red, white and blue tin buckets in the $1 section at Target and knew they would be perfect to use for serving up my french fries this weekend! (After this weekend I will use them in my garden)


IMG_0330
I lined each of the buckets with parchment paper


IMG_0336
and added heaps of french fries- insert mouth watering here :)


IMG_0339
Last, I topped each bucket with a different dipping sauce

yum

IMG_0347

20 comments:

Kimber said...

Yum!
These and the lights will go great together!
I could live on potatoes, especially baked french fries, if I really just had to! lol
Thanks for sharing!
Have a great 4th!

Unknown said...

Don't worry. I think if I had to eat one thing for the rest of my life (veggie wise) it would also be potatoes. I love them every way possible =)
thanks for the post.
♥Jess

Effie said...

All I can say is.... YUM!

jgr said...

Awesome! Thank you for this recipe, I can't wait to try it. Happy 4th!

Jessica said...

these might be the end of me. mmmmm

Jenny said...

Looks so yummy. There's a restaurant near me that serves chips (fries) and curry sauce - so good! Thanks for the recipe - now I can try it at home. Have a great holiday!

Kim W. said...

wow.... YUM! looks heavenly.. and totally adorable in the buckets! thanks for sharing! lovely!

Polexia said...

oh my goodness these look delicious! I feel the exact same way about those good ol' brown potatoes :D also, i dislike ketchup too (!) so i will be taking notes on those dressings ;)

Andrea said...

I love potatoes, and the little buckets are so cute!

MyBlueDog said...

OMG.. looks really gooood. Do you know what kind of potatoes you used or was it a generic "baking" potato? thanks for the step by step photos..

Jane LaFazio said...

so good, so decadent. Let me just say, I'm a little disappointed that you didn't paint the buckets! :-)

Kittyj said...

Ha! Now I KNOW my husband will love you too!!! Excellent!

Denise T Designs said...

You were absolutely reading my mind....or was I reading yours? anyways, these are still on my list for the 4th---I think I'll add a twist and fix them like you did! yum.
Denise
Enjoy your 4th!

Denise T Designs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shoozles said...

I love when you do food blogs, I just did one on my garden and making fresh salad :) And I just took photos of fish tacos I made So I'll be blogging that soon. You are so inspiring Alisa, thank you.

Gilding Lilies said...

These look so yummy! I love them in the colorful buckets, great idea.

Blondi Blathers said...

Alisa, if you love potatoes you MUST see this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uLUVI3Y0q0

My husband can't live without potatoes so this might be his theme song.

Kylie said...

Oh wow! I cannot stand ketchup, and I always get strange looks from people. I am definitely going to have to try these.

Barefoot Driver Studio said...

Looks so good! Yummy!

Anonymous said...

Made these again tonight, thanks Alisa!

Rachel Biddlecome

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails